Monday, 20 February 2012

monday morning

I had a lovely weekend. The english paper piecing workshop was a success (did I take any photos? No - not one. I was enjoying it too much). If anyone is interested in learning the basics of english paper piecing please let me know, and if there is enough interest I'll arrange another date.

Most of Saturday evening was spent sewing the blocks together for scrap vomit part deux. There are so many really really awful fabrics in this quilt, I spent too long hunting for ugly prints and not enough time sewing, but I managed to finish this morning and tried (mostly unsuccessfully) to get a photo. It's a bit blustery today. The finished quilt top is a bit bigger than the original, at 70x84". I was going to go bigger, but I quite liked how this was big enough for a bed, but also perfect for the couch.
Now I have to piece a back using the leftover blocks and some solids and send it off to long armed Chris to quilt (I'm thinking something like a baptist fan might look good?). This quilt was meant to be for me, as the original scrap vomit went to live with a friend of mine (only over the road, so not exactly far away). I say meant to be for me, because Miss G has laid claim to it. She doesn't do that often, so when she does express an interest in something I've made I gladly let her use it.

scrap vomit part deux

I've just realised the quilt is upside down in the pics.

scrap vomit part deux

Oops.

If you want to make your own scrap vomit quilt, there's a tutorial in my tutorials section (just scroll down to find it, it's there, I promise!) If you were to make one, I'd love to see it - there's a flickr group for any blocks or quilts you make.

This morning the lovely UPS man dropped off a package containing my fabrics for the next quilt along I'm doing (after swoon). If you fancy joining in we'll be making this quilt or this quilt - or both, up to you! I've got a domestic bliss jelly roll for hopscotch and some fun bella solids in jade and fuchsia. It's going to be a really girly, colourful quilt.

21 comments:

Belle + Bee said...

The last thing I need to do is start another quilt, but Hopscotch is really calling to me......

Nicole Follow the White Bunny said...

It doesn't really matter whether it's upside down or not, it is lovely anyway!

Archie the wonder dog said...

Glad the EPP workshop went well - any chance someone else took photos?!! Love the SV quilt - it looks lovely upside down!

DianeY said...

Eek! I was planning to use Domestic Bliss for Hopscotch, too. Hope you don't mind having a twinsie!

Rachel said...

LOVE it...but I gotta ask, how would you know the quilt is upside down?

I think I'd better finish Swoon before I join another quilt-along. I still don't know how to quilt this baby. It's going to be the death of me, I'm sure.

bellsjo said...

yeah - how do you know it is upside down?! it is looking great - it will be interesting to see how quilting it changes to feel of the quilt

**nicke... said...

so glad your class went swimmingly. i can't wait to take your class in october!

Noas' Libellule said...

When is hopscotch starting? I love it. I am in!

Poppyprint said...

I'm having trouble finding the ugly fabrics in all that gorgeous vomit! Love the triangly pattern for the next quiltalong!

Katy Cameron said...

Looks fun, love the upsaide down wee owl peering out though ;o) Hope Miss G enjoys :o)

Flying Blind... said...

The Vom looks cool, and Hopscotch please xxx

RuthDesigns said...

I'm so pleased to see vomit2 coming together at last! I know which way up it goes as I made the top left block, defo recognise some of those fabrics :)

I'm also glad that Miss G loves it, when the idea was first born I imagined the quilt living in your world and it sounds like it will be happy there and that's as it should be.

Sis-O said...

Well, you know what they say, HONEY is just BEE VOMIT! and your quilt is sweet too! Good job. I would like to make one and will check out your tut Thank you.

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

Glad the epp workshop went well! I was very tempted to join you, maybe next time?!
The quilt looks fabulous, even upside down (I would never have known!!).
I'm also thinking of joining in the QAL but I'll have to see how I'm getting on nearer the time :)

Anonymous said...

I'm really hoping you do the english paper piecing at Patch fabrics since I live in Suffolk. Pretty please!

Jacey said...

I'm glad the workshop went well! I will have to see what's going on when you start the next QAL. And I should probably finish swoon first. ;) I know I will have to make a scrap vomit of my own someday. Your second version is lovely!

Nikki said...

ooooh! Wish I were near Yorkshire! I'd take a piecing class in a heartbeat. It all seems SO DIFFICULT to me, and I am a lazy quilter! I even bought the fat quarterly paper special and it still seems like quite a lot of work.
Oh well!
Congrats on the vomit! (and really, how often does one get to say that in life?)

Carla said...

Scrap Vomit? I don't think so. It's lovely : )

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

this is divine Katy, just divine.

MaryAnnB said...

Just bought a pink Meadow Friends jelly roll and am ready to 'Hopscotch' along when you are! Perfect for my grand daughter's birthday in June! (hint hint! start soon!)
Enjoy reading your blog, love the paper piecing, wish I had the patience!

Nancy@OwensOlivia said...

This is so lovely!!!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!