Monday, 29 October 2012

Christmas...can we share ideas?

It's coming - whether you want to accept it or not, the Holiday Season is almost upon us.

What are we all planning on doing for it?

There's a whole wealth of tutorials out there for gift ideas and I figured this would be a good place for you to share links to your own tutorials or ideas on your blogs.

I'm hoping to get a couple of quilts finished to gift out, I love Jeni's giant star tutorial - it's a quilt that can be made in just a weekend, and the beauty of the way you cut the pieces is that you can easily make 2 at a time. perfect. This one is made from Splendor 1920 by Bari J for Art Gallery and kona pepper. Jeni has a lot of great tutorial ideas and is well worth checking out.

Giant star quilt top using @barij splendor 1929 (& @jenib320 tute)

There are some more project ideas in my tutorials section. Strip piecing a granny square is fast and fun, and it wouldn't take you long to make a pillow or 2.

strip piecing a granny square tute

Pillowcases are a great way to wrap gifts - especially for children. Ashley's tutorial is my go-to for fast and simple pillowcases.

flannel pillowcases!

Anna of Noodlehead has a million (almost) tutorials that are perfect for all occasions, and lots of them are fast and easy to whip up.

I do love the simplicity of the open wide pouch, and I am definitely going to be making a heap of these for Christmas gifts. Fill them with little treats and they make a perfect gift for anyone, of any age.

noodlehead's open wide pouch

What about you? Do you have any tutorials of your own you'd like to share and some gift ideas for the upcoming holiday season. We celebrate Christmas in this house, but whatever holiday you celebrate, let's have a little share party - link up any tutorials you want to share in the linky tool below. You can add more than one, add a whole heap if you have them. The more the merrier!
And if you have a favourite tutorial that isn't your own, leave a comment instead. I love to bookmark great tutorials for future reference!



21 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh, I am in the addiction phase of making Elizabeth Hartmanns Zip Pouches
They have excellent strappy bits & lots of metal bits that make them look almost shop bought . I have them lurking all round the house , ready to give at Christmas .

Hazel Raison said...

Love that pouch tutorial. I'll have to have a go at those.

I intended to make some quilted wash bags but the pattern I had (in a book) wasn't very good and I don't think my machine would have handled all the layers so I gave it up.

I've crocheted 2 blankets and have a third one almost done. I've also quilted a wallhanging. Other than that I've not really done anything as most of the people we get gifts probably wouldn't appreciate a handmade gift :-(

thedodds said...

I used Jeni's amazing bag tutorial to make Shoe Bags (stuffed with polishes, brushes etc.) for all the men in the family the year before last - they're so hard to buy for - and they were a big hit. Would work for shoe-aholic girlfriends, too.
This year, for Mums and Sisters, I've bought a stack of box files from an office supply website that I'm planning to transform with a tutorial in the Cabbages & Roses 'Homemade Vintage' book.
Not sure what to get the men though....x

pennydog said...

Don't know if the linky is working but I just shared a link to my patchwork Christmas card tutorial and I can't see it... http://blog.pennydog.com/2011/12/06/tutorial-stitched-christmas-tree-cards/ (just in case)

Spoolhardy Girl said...

I've got one coming to Moda Bakeshop on November 29, for a patchwork wine bottle bag. I'll link as soon as it's posted! I was just thinking yesterday that I should start churning out a few pouches. Love those Wide Open ones!

Karen said...

Oh - I have been stockpiling tutorials - don't know if I'll get to them - but here are a couple:

macaroon coin purse: http://www.craftpassion.com/2012/01/macaron-coin-purse.html
this one is cute too - http://www.craftpassion.com/2011/06/triangle-coin-purse-with-zipper.html
I just made one of these bags - options for the outside are endless http://artsycraftybabe.typepad.com/artsycrafty_babe/2009/06/the-people-have-spoken.html

Indianna said...

This is a great tutorial for a notebook cover, ith pockets and pen holder.

http://indiannadreams.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/holiday-shopping-list-cover.html

heart of charnwood said...

A travel needlecase for your sewing friends, this is a brilliant tutorial:
http://lotsofpinkhere.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/12-gifts-of-christmas-blog-hop.html

Debbie said...

Great idea! I linked a few...

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

Thanks for the kick in the pants to start thinking about Christmas already :) I added my apron tutorial!

Bethe @ Texas Lovely said...

I love LOVE that giant star quilt! What a wonderful (and quick) gift to give!

Sonia said...

What a great list - thanks Katy :) I'm probably going to make a few fabric wrap bracelets (I've even done a tutorial here http://fabricandflowersuk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/wrap-bracelet-ta-dah-tutorial.html ) to use up all those gorgeous little scraps I've got and maybe some open wide pouches. I'm even contemplating a jelly roll quilt. Thinking about it I really had better get sewing!!!! Sx

Jenny said...

Karen, you have got to be kidding me with that macaron coin purse. That is the cutest thing I have ever seen. How can it make sense? I need to make one, but it has to make sense. What can go in it, besides a ring or a quarter??

Strawberry Patch said...

Brilliant! I am pinning this now :-)

ros said...

This year, I have given myself permission not to make any presents at all. Huge relief.

Beth said...

Great idea! I love that giant star quilt!

IzzyR said...

It would not accept my link for some reason so here it is here .. IzzyR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Tkm3nCferp4

IzzyR said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=itUKAJ6RaOc
All you need for this one is a 4 patch and a hst . Great Christmas quilt fast and easy.

Julian Booth said...


Fantastic work you have done - love the creation. What a great images.Wide variety and range of christmas gift ideas for the occasion available @ Ezsnaps.Get unique christmas gift ideas at an unbelievable price.

Aimee said...

ooh - I love this post! I love a nicely curated list of tutorials. Two I am itching to try are both quick projects - This circle earbud pouch http://erinerickson.com/2011/11/circle-zip-earbud-pouch-tutorial/ and this cute travel jewelry roll: http://www.fiberosity.com/?p=403

Bag Christmas Gift said...

Yes so near, my wife is so busy in handling her organizer for Christmas, she's really so exited for it and being her man I am willing to spend time too to help her, and to make her happy I am planning to gift her the something she desire.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive