Tuesday, 8 January 2013

swooning...again

Last year I hosted a quilt along for the swoon quilt, the pattern by Camille Roskelley. I figured a few people would jump on board and join in with me. Maybe a couple of hundred if I was super lucky. I emailed back and forth with Camille as the weeks went by - mostly our emails were along the lines of 'have you seen how many people are in the group now?!!!!!' We were both really shocked it got as popular as it was. I think flickr was swamped with photos of swoon blocks last January and February. It was pretty awesome.

The flickr group now has over 1000 members. It's crazy. Needless to say, the quilt along was a massive success, and the flickr group was an amazing place for people to share their tips, and advice as we all made our quilts together. If you were thinking about making a swoon quilt, grab a copy of the pattern and then join the group - it's an amazing source for inspiration and hints.

My swoon quilt was a scrappy number using Habitat by Jay Mccarroll and moda crossweave in natural. It was scrappy mainly because I had some weird sized cuts of Habitat - some skinny quarters, some FQs, some half yards, some yardage and some smaller than FQ sized bits. I also couldn't keep my cutting organised and I gave up keeping everything in tidy stacks. It wasn't a true design choice, it was just easier that way.

swoon

I love that quilt so much. Angela Walters quilted it, and it lives on my bed. Much like child birth, where you soon forget the pain once it's over and done with and your baby is in your arms,  I've been getting the itch to make another swoon, but slower this time.

There are 6 yards of Alexander Henry Downtown Dot in my stash, (which I'd originally bought to use as a quilt back but could never quite bring myself to actually use as just a quilt back), and I've signed up for Justine's Sew Solids Crew, a monthly stash builder of kona solids (I'm getting the 3 FQ option). I think 6 yards will give me 12 blocks, if my not so reliable quilt math is right. So that's what I'm going to do - 12 blocks, using 2 FQs from each month's bundle (and the leftover FQs I'll use on the back, or maybe as a pieced border), and I'll have a really big rainbow quilt by the end of the year.

swooning again


December's fabrics were purples. I used dark violet and amethyst from my pack of 3 FQs. January's fabrics are greens - holly, peridot and candy green (pic below) - I can't wait to get them and make my next block!


swooning again


37 comments:

RuthDesigns said...

Yum Yum Yum :)

cauchy09 said...

a lovely combo! every color goes with that dotty background. good luck!

Katy Cameron said...

Oh wow, that is going to be HUGE! It will look fab though with the solid/dot mix

Charlotte said...

gorgeousness!

heart of charnwood said...

Wow, that swoon quilt is just stunning, I may be swooning later in the year, as one of my Bee buddies is considering it, i hope she decides to go with it, it is a great block, the Flickr group is packed with beauties! : )

Allison said...

I have the pattern, the fabric picked (FMF - finally matched it to a project, or wait, was I going to do a FWQ with that?? anywhoo) You continue to be a powerpiecer little miss monkey!

Elisabeth said...

Love your Swoon! I only made one block last year which I turned into a cat bed. I now have two blocks on my 'to do' list, for the dog's bed. Maybe next year I'll actually get round to making a whole quilt for me :-)

Auntie Pami said...

Isn't Camille a treat? Just love her. What a fantastic idea to use the dots! I have a bolt, yes, a bolt of an old Lakehouse dot (oops, make that two) one on white and one on black. I have a huge stash of solids and I guess I'll just have to join. Thank you again!

Debbie said...

I was on a Swoon kick too - just couldn't get enough! I'm sure another one is in my future too...Enjoy! This will be beautiful!

Elsa said...

Oh, I've been wanting to do that quilt since I first saw it done at my quilt guild. The pattern has been taped up on my wall since last year some time or other ago.
Your quilt is stunning and the solid one will be too!

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's going to be stunning!

Library Gal Quilts said...

Solids sure are the new black aren't they? I love them and this is the perfect way to show them off. Love the dot fabric. You will have a wonderful Swoon 2. My Swoon has 3 more blocks to go. It is over a year and a half old now, so I'd better get it out and finish up! Thanks for the reminder :)

Sigrun said...

That quilt is beautiful! I like the fact that you mixed solids and scraps, a great way to do. It's a lovely, sooner or later I have quilt-a-long, too!

Tiara said...

Your swoon quilt is my absolute favorite, I'd like ten times on flickr if it let me!

Anna said...

Love it. I'm hoping to do another Swoon this year, too!

CathyK said...

Love that Swoon!!!!

Chris said...

Beautiful colors in that quilt!!!

Chris said...

Beautiful colors in that quilt!!!

RWL said...

i made a swoon quilt as a wedding present for some friends and then i had a sudden realization that i loved it and needed to make one for me too. fuuuuuun!!!

mascanlon said...

Well maybe I will do my Swoon along with you. Have a FQ stack in mind and I will just need to settle on a background. It's been on my list since the first time round and I never got started. You are a good influence (sometimes) Katy!

Trudi said...

your first block looks fabulous, need to find something pretty as a background, might do this with Round &Round :)

Lex said...

Your scrappy one is lovely (Hadn't seen a scrappy Swoon before). I adore the solids with the polka dots. That sort of makes me want to make a swoon block a month - because a whole one at once seems overwhelming (I can't think of what fabrics to go with, etc), but once a month going with whatever fabric at the moment strikes my fancy seems perfect

Nicky said...

I haven't even started mine yet!

Kelli said...

Wow! Love the purples with the downtown dots. I LOVED your scrappy habitat swoon, but am very intrigued with this solids one as well...can't wait to see the greens.

Quilting In The Cold said...

That is going to be one stunning quilt!

Valerie said...

you are so freakin smart & inspirational!

Catherine said...

Love the swoon in the solids

charlotte said...

Your first Swoon was awesome, your second one will be stunning. I am finally quilting my Swoon from last year. It took forever to make the backing and then I had so much Christmas sewing to do so this weekend I basted it and came up with a quilting plan and started. It will take awhile since it's so big, but I am excited about it all over again. Thanks for the nudge.

Anonymous said...

Hi theгe, Υοu've done an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I'm сonfiԁent they will be benеfited from thіѕ web ѕite.
My web-site - Buy Instagram Followers Real

Anonymous said...

I am trulу grateful to the owner of this ωeb site whо
has ѕhareԁ this grеat ρоѕt at at this tіmе.


Herе іs my webpagе - pikavippi
Feel free to visit my web page ; pikavippi

Claire E Poppins said...

I've never said but it was your swoon along last year that finally gave me the kick up the bum that I needed to start learning patchwork/quilting. I didn't join in as my skillz were zero at the time but a swoon quilt is definitely on my to do list! Loving this solid/rainbow version and can't wait to see the finished top! Thanks :-)

Tsoniki Crazy Bull said...

Wow, that is going to be beautiful! Great idea to use the FQ fabrics to do so. I really want to do this quilt, when I get moved (next week/week after) I am going to sit down and figure out what I have to get done so I can start some new projects!

jlk said...

Downtown Dot -- don't you mean "Downton Dot?"

Mindelicious said...

I LOVE Downtown Dot! I think it's perfect for your swoon- brilliant choice. Overall, I think Alexander Henry prints are a little underrated in the quilting world. In fact, just yesterday I was considering using Downtown Dot as the background in Pile O' Fabric's Skill Builders QAL. I ended up deciding on some prints form the Architextures line in gray, but same idea. Subtle, repetitive pattern makes for an interesting background!

Angelina S. said...

Ooooh this is going to be brilliant!

Caryn said...

I've been wanting to Swoon for awhile now, but haven't found just the right fabric. When I saw your giant Star in Splendor 1920 with Pepper Kona, I... well, I SWOONED! I have a question though. Obviously Swoon is dependent on contrast between the block design and the background fabric. From the pictures it looks like Splendor 1920 has good contrast, but I'm worried that with some of the larger prints there might be stretches of dark grey that will blend too much with the background along the seam line and lose that crispness I'm after. I would appreciate your thoughts on how effective this would be and if you think the Pepper is too dark for this particular pattern, do you have anothef background fabric recommendation? I know you were looking for a second background to make another Giant Star, so had hoped you might have come up with something you could recommend. I love the richness and saturation of Bari's line, so I really want to find a great pair up for it. Thanks! Caryn

Claire Jain said...

Cute! I love that purple got to go first :-) I do love me some purple. Your first Swoon is such a beauty. I'm glad it gets enjoyed every day!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive