Wednesday, 30 July 2014

when Katy went to a class

The other week (last week? It seems forever ago, but it was just last Tuesday) I booked a day's holiday from work and took myself off to Oh Sew Sweet Shop in Mapplewell (which is just down the road from my house) and went and did a class with my friend Hannah.

We were slightly rebellious, making some patchwork before we got to class to use instead of a single piece of fabric. The teacher was a little bit nervous about this but because I had cleverly measured the sample from the bag on display in the shop we had pieced the exact correct size which pleased the teacher greatly, and made us feel pretty good too.

I was class swot (there is no surprise there, it was my plan to be class swot) and finished mine on the day (except for finishing the binding) and Hannah was second fastest, we took this as sign that we were pretty darn cool. The teacher lady said they were 'jazzy', which I think was a polite way of saying she wasn't overly keen on our fabric choices and the lack of co-ordination, plus our flippant disregard for co-ordinating threads.

I took it as the ultimate compliment, because jazzy is an EXCELLENT word and I had gone for the more is best philosophy regarding colour and fabrics (and I used cotton + steel so it's clearly going to win most fash-on and bang on trend sewing bag going).

Here it is all closed up (I didn't add magnetic clasps, because I'd forgotten to buy some, I could add those later, or I could just leave it as is).


oooh....the inside flap (complete with very wonky quilting lines in a horrendously clashing thread).....


3 big zippy pockets (and more wonky quilting lines in the same clashing thread)!!!!


It has clear plasticy stuff in the middle (not a bundle of fun to sew) and a piece of leopardy ribbon plus flowery bias binding (bought - not made by me)!



The leopardy ribbon holds spools of thread! And the clear plasticy bit is see-thru! (obviously)


Fatty likes it....


This is Hannah's, who was also operating the more colour is best philosophy. And my sister in leopard print loving. She monogrammed hers, in case I tried to steal it. I would have, I actually like hers best, especially because she was sensible enough to have it sideways.


I'm not sure the poor teacher lady would like me (or Hannah) to go back to class, but I enjoyed it so much I think I'm going to do this every couple of months. I've managed to earn so many days in lieu at work since I started I should probably start taking them and a day spent sewing and giggling with friends is an amazing day, it's the ultimate treat and I get to hang out with the people that come to my classes when I'm teaching at Oh Sew Sweet, who are all so great I usually forget I'm supposed to be teaching and just sit and chat with them instead. This way they're probably getting better value for money, and they still learn stuff and I can still chat with them.

30 comments:

pennydog said...

Man, I'd be tempted to steal Hannah's too. Swots!

Julie said...

I really think you did a great job. I'd have enjoyed taking that class with you!

Katie said...

these are awesome -- any day spent sewing and giggling is better than a day at work

Lisa said...

Love it, may have to reconsider my plans now!!! Hope you'll come spend so some days with us too soon? ��

Leona said...

Was this from a pattern?

Jeanie said...

I like them both. Nicely done.

Rebecca McAfee said...

You crack me up!! I'm so happy to know that there are others in the world that match according to personality not color! I've made things before and someone will say "but it doesn't match". Well to me it does.

Reene@Nellie's Niceties said...

Jazzy rocks and you can never have to much animal print! :)

Kristen Jones said...

Love them both!! I'm not a big fan of matching my thread and stuff either. Such Rebels we are! Lol. I'd love to make one. Is there a pattern to buy?

Anita said...

I love your sewing kit. I think fatty's long lost twin lives in our house.

Ramona said...

I feel I was right there with you... giggles and all. Too fun.

But I've got to ask... what's a SWOT?
Ramona

Bobbi D. said...

I would steal either one!!! So cute! I love the leopardy ribbon too.
PS, got my order of Quilt Now yesterday, LOVE IT!!!

Catherine said...

Ha ha, I bet the teacher lady can't wait to have you back!!!!

Carol-Ann said...

This is so happy and bright as well as being useful. Is it possible to purchase a pattern?

Bye Bye Berlin Baby said...

I love your jazzy-ness!!! Thank you so much for you blog!!!! (It's so great to "sneak out" from me californian work desk!) Is there any chance to get the pattern? Please ... I am super obsessed with it ...

Linda Mc said...

I love your bag and your toenails look pretty good too!

wisata karimunjawa said...

Ingin Liburan Ke Karimunjawa , ingin Paket Wisata Karimunjawa murah, Hubungi kami Tour Karimunjawa island +6285201391216 (Syaiful) PIN BB 30c9f29c. Ayo datang ke karimun jawa bersama keluarga, dengan mengikuti paket wisata karimunjawa yang termasuk biro wisata karimun jawa berpengalaman karena memberikan paket karimun jawa murah,anda sudah Bisa menikmati Wisata Karimunjawa di pulau Karimunjawa atau Karimunjawa island. lanjut bisa menghubungi www.tourkarimunjawaisland.com. Untuk mendapatkan pilihan paket Honeymoon Karimunjawa , paket Diving Karimunjawa , paket Hotel Nirvana karimunjawa , paket omah alchy karimunjawa dan Paket Murah karimunjawa , paket hotel karimunjawa, paket homestay karimunjawa, paket 2 hari 1 malam karimunjawa, paket 3 hari 2 malam karimunjawa, paket 4 hari 3 malam karimunjawa, paket 2 h 1 m karimunjawa, paket 3 h 2 m karimunjawa, paket 4 h 3 m karimunjawa. untuk Paket karimunjawa dan karimunjawa murah, hanya di karimunjawa tour

Sue Moore said...

I'd love to do a class or 3 with you girls! Some classes get way too serious for me. I'd miss match my thread too cos I'm never terribly organised & never take the right stuff , or enough, when I go to a class. Love the design too.

Sharon said...

Taking classes is so fun! It's a good sign you still want to spend free time sewing...not burned up by it at work! Very cute bag, I feel it always goes without saying that more is better, and if it's colorful and pretty it doesn't need to match.

Melanie said...

I wish I could take a class with you...it sounds so wonderful to be jazzy!

Clare said...

I have only done one class and it was with an old school.. ie NOT modern quilter called Mary. She called my style of quilting 'funky' . ie she didn't approve of my fabric, stitching, colors or general demeanor.... ... we still laugh about it. Are we lucky that there are lots of different types in our quilt world.

margaret said...

so do not think you were teachers pet but love what you made! Where will you be at FOQ please?

Pippa Parsons said...

Lol pair of rebels you x

Kay said...

Class sounds fun, sewing with a friend is a great idea. I really liked the scrappy look. I am sure she would be delighted to have you both back. x

Karen said...

This looks great and quite handy! I surely would be more concerned if you didn't get rebellious with patchwork :). Is this sewing kit a pattern?

Crafting Kim said...

There is very little that's as much fun as hanging out with lovely sewing people for a day of stitching and laughter! Your bag is fab.

Helen Lay said...

I'm so pleased you made time for a class and had fun - hope I make it to one of your classes one day.

Claudia said...

Thanks for this wonderful report - made me smilel in the early morning! I'm over here in Germany and thanks to you have learnt 2 new words - swot and jazzy!

Trudi said...

oh you do make me laugh! jazzy swot! cant wait for the next installment!

Lady Principium said...

I knew you were trouble when you walked in (Taylor Swift me thinks) that song wil always make me think of you and Hannah now. Wish I had stayed to class but feeling very grumpy and the nice teacher lady would not have been impressed with me either! You make me laugh so much Lorrayne xx

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive